Saturday 5 April, 2008

Children who dont want to eat healthy food...a way out...

The other day I had a session with parents of Classes I and II. It was very interactive and fruitful. The next day one of these parents wrote me a mail expressiong concern that his daughter does not eat any health food. She is very active but will not eat green veggies, daal etc, he wrote. I mailed him back my response...and thought to share it with a wider audience here.

Hi Pankaj,

Nice to know you liked the session.

Regarding Diksha...one thing is good that she is an active child. All paediatricians will tell you not to worry as long as the child is active and loves to play. My son Mudit too had a similar problem...infact, he still does not eat much. But a few things have helped. Let me share them with you:
  1. Since we put him into serious sports at the age of 7 years...he undergoes regular coaching in Squash at Siri Fort...his desire to eat and become stronger has increased a lot. Often he tells him mummy to make sprouts and dalia for him.
  2. When he plays with other kids on the court and is convinced that others are physically stronger than him...he wants to know how he too can be strong.
  3. He then seeks advice from his coach...who tells him about healthy food etc.
  4. He then watches me eat milk-dalia daily in the morning...and then sees how I bi-cycle/jog for an hour each day in the evening. That makes him ask me questions like...papa how are you able to do this?
  5. When I tell him the relation between my daily dalia eating and my fitness regime he begins to get convinced.
  6. He then tries this on himself...you see a child 'believes' once the 'associations' get established in his mind.
So, the process is slow...but sustainable. As parents you will have to set the right example at home too...healthy eating, physical fitness, reading habits etc. At times...do have 'eat-outs' and freak out with her on her favourite food/junk etc. But never forget to keep the 'balance.'

Hope this works for you. Do keep mailing me your feedbacks.

Regards

Nikhil

I hope this provides a way for anxious parents to try out...I await your feedbacks as usual!!


No comments: