Thursday 13 March, 2008

Humour in the Classroom situation

Its been my experience that if you can clown around with kids in the classroom situation even while delivering a lecture on say math and science (the subjects I teach in Classes VIII - X), the net output is phenomenal. A good sense of humour is adored by kids....I often pull their legs when they do not perform, or forget to keep a promise about lesson submissions etc. The whole dynamics gets into the 'fun' zone when kids begin to feel free to pull me up too when I slip up.....!!

Humour, I feel, is the most powerful way to express to kids that there is a kid 'within' you too. The moment this happens, you become a part of their peer group....and a process of peer group learning is set into motion. Such learning is two-way, enjoyable and very penetrating.

Parents too need to follow this approach as much as possible to be able to 'reach out' to their children at home and whenever they go on outings with them. Parenting then becomes real fun and kids adore such parents who can play and clown around even while guiding them on serious issues.

While coaching kids in squash I again adopt a similar approach.

In all, humour is the elixir of life....the more we practice it the more we reap its benefits.....

Nikhil

No comments: